This online course is compulsory for new and re-validating RYA Commercial Endorsement holders. Each year around 4500 people apply to the RYA for a commercial endorsement in order to use their RYA qualifications professionally as skipper or crew.
From April 2012 anyone wishing to re-validate or apply for the commercial endorsement must first complete the online PPR course.
This applies to the following certificates:
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Ocean
- RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Offshore
- RYA/YA Yachtmaster Instructor
The course covers the legal framework that commercial operators need to adhere to – whatever vessel they work on. While we can’t teach the specific rules for every type of operation, the course will help you understand and execute your duty of care, and give you principles, guidance and techniques to help make the right choices and decisions.
The course is broken down into four modules:
- Commercial environment how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Following the modules there is a practice assessment so you can check that you are ready before moving on to the final online assessment. The four training modules should take around 6 to 8 hours. At the end of these modules there are two online assessments, roughly totaling 2½ hours.
A PPR taster video can be viewed to learn more about the course before booking.
How to take the PPR course?
The course is run by Yachtmaster Sailing School through the RYA eLearning website.
How much does it cost?
Refer to dates and prices for the most current information.
The full course fee is required per person with a booking form stating clearly you wish to enroll in the online Professional Practices and Responsibilities (PPR) course. We accept cash, money order or credit card (MasterCard or Visa only). Please note that cheques are not accepted.
We will then send you an interactive link and password to your course.
During your course an instructor will available with queries via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.